You can follow Adam on Twitter at @AdamRGE!
What is your title?
Senior Research Engineer
What is your expertise?
Aerospace engineering, pulse detonation engines, hypersonics, fluid mechanics
How long have you been at GE?
Since August of 2001, so about 9 years.
Where did you receive your education?
B.S.:Carleton University (Ottawa, Canada); MS & Ph.D.: Caltech (Pasadena, CA)
What are you working on now?
I am leading the experimental portion of the Pulse Detonation Engine Advanced Technology Program
Any awards, medals, patents, or special recognitions?
I have around 40 patent applications and around 70 technical reports and publications. As well, I have received the following recognitions:
- 2009 AIAA Lawrence Sperry Award — awarded for career contributions to aerospace engineering
- 2009 Invited to attend the inaugural National Academy of Engineering “China-America Symposium” in Changsha, China
- 2007 Canadian Foundation for International Space University (CFISU) Fellowship to attend the International Space University Summer Session (Beijing, 2007).
- 2006 MIT Sloan School of Management – IBC Global Indus Technovator Award
- 2006 Invited to attend the National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Symposium
- 2005 MIT Technology Review Magazine “World’s Top 35 Innovators Under Age 35″
What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Completing “The Canadian” Ironman Triathlon (Ottawa, Canada, 2006) in 14:59:14 hours.
What is your computer wallpaper?
A picture of my son when he was 5 hours old.
Where did you grow up?
Who is a technologist (past or present) that you most admire?
“Cavemen” (or cave-persons, to be politically correct) for inventing the wheel and taming fire.
What is your favorite book or publication?
A Suitable Boy (Vikram Seth), Life of Pi (Yann Martel), 10 Rules for Strategic Innovators (Vijay Govindarajan)
What invention of the future will change the world/way we live?
Merging of electronics with human physiology (in particular, our brains).